Monday, April 11, 2011

Jewelry and reflections

I ordered a mother's necklace from a seller on Etsy. I've been looking at them for a while, but they all seemed so very similar and processed. I finally found a designer that made them small, simple, and affordable, and am looking forward to having it around my neck.

Among other things, it will have a little disk stamped with a sun, because Elle is my sunshine.

(I love that I already have a "jewelry" tag. At least I'm consistent.)

***

Tooth number two is on its merry way, so let's just say last night was less than restful. And when I wake up from a dead sleep in the middle of the night because of a baby that's screaming as if she's being tortured with hot pokers, let's just say I didn't have the presence of mind to remember that Tyl.enol would probably have helped.

Tonight, should I need to remember, I will remember.

***

Being a parent is this vast amazing thing, and at the same time it's so very tiny. It's small things like how your daughter's cheek feels against your lips, how she'll rest her face against yours and you can feel her smiling, how her neck smells. And it's big enormous things like wondering who she'll be someday, who she's becoming. Realizing that so much of who she is is already there, coded into her genes, like the little wispy curls her hair is turning into.

No comments: