Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Mother's Day (better late than never?)

It was a nice day.  My parents were in, so they watched Elle while I went to see The Avengers.  I am a nerd and proud of it, man.  It was awesome.

We went out to dinner that night, and I was reminded again how lucky I am.  Elle's a toddler, yes, but she's a pretty good toddler.  She stayed well-behaved through a dinner that lasted over an hour and a half.  It helped that there were crayons, and towards the end we started pulling random crap out of our various purses in order to keep her entertained, but she was exceptionally good (especially considering that she started telling me "Mommy, I done!" at least 45 minutes before we actually left).

She also enjoyed the gelato.  A LOT.  We don't do a lot of sweet stuff at home; her usual end-of-meal treat is fruit and maybe a graham cracker.  (I have a problematic sweet tooth, so I downplay the sugar for her whenever I can.)  But she went after the gelato with gusto, saying periodically with great satisfaction, "Ice keem!"

Elle just loves having my parents in town, and they love spending time with her.  I hope they end up living a little closer so they can spend time with her on a more ongoing basis, rather than just really intense long weekends.  They're intense for me, too-- for all intents and purposes I had not one minute of alone time from the Friday before Mother's Day to the Tuesday after, when I put Elle down.

People, I'm an only child.  I'm an "I" on the Myers Briggs scale. (Borderline E/I, but I nonetheless.)  I need my time to myself.  I just do, and given that Elle is such a good night sleeper, I've been able to have at least a little time to myself most days.  Of course, often that time is taken up with cooking or dishes or other household things, but at least I'm alone.  When my parents are around, we have to be together ALL THE TIME.

They love me.  I love them.  But my house does not provide space for breathing room.

But all in all, it was a good Mother's Day.  Talking with a friend at work this week, who has a daughter just about a year younger than Elle, we both reflected that we don't really think of Mother's Day as being for us-- it's still more about being for our moms.  I'm sure that will change at some point.

All I really want for Mother's Day, anyway, is a happy, healthy daughter.  That, I have.  I am very blessed.

No comments: