Friday, October 23, 2009

Not really a domestic goddess

I don't cook very often. I can cook, and I'm not horrible, but generally when it's just me, dinner is some variation on the salad/pasta/chicken breast/frozen meal tango.

I have, however, been trying some new recipes this fall. Particularly for vegetables-- I love steaming them, but sometimes a girl likes a little variety. One of the veggies that I've always been kind of meh about is cauliflower. I mean, it's fine, but it's not that interesting. It's a nice, white, safe vegetable; if you have a kid, you pour cheese on it. Sometimes it goes on sale and I buy it, but I'd rather have broccoli.

Last weekend, though, I tried roasting cauliflower. If you have not tried this, let me tell you: YUM. It was easy and absolutely delicious. The roasting makes the flavor richer and more complex. Highly, highly recommended.

1 bunch cauliflower
2 Tb olive oil

Clean cauliflower and cut into flowerets. Toss in the olive oil. Roast in a 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes (depending on how toasty brown you want it).

That's it! I roasted mine with a bit of chopped sweet onion and several cloves of garlic, becaue that's how I do things. But you don't need to.

It's ironic-- me giving domestic advice to anyone-- but really. Try this.

No comments: